Popular Betting Strategies You Should Try

-

The odds of winning the lottery are slim to none, but that doesn’t mean you can’t put your money to good use.

Betting on sports is a great way to play with the house’s money and make some cash in the process. But not everyone has time for all those games; if it takes too long to wait for an event before placing bets, you could miss out on valuable opportunities. That’s why we’ve created this list of betting strategies guaranteed to win more than lose–so you can stop wasting your time and start making money today!

The Parlay

Parlay is a popular football betting strategy but you can implement it in other games as well.

Imagine you win $100 on the first match of your favorite sport and then go to place another bet before the next game begins, but lose. With a parlay, you can remove all those “what if” losses by placing multiple (two or more) bets and winning them all for big cash payouts.

Let’s say you want to bet on a team with a 50 percent chance of winning. If they win, your parlay will pay 2:1 odds–meaning for every $2 you bet, you get $3 back plus your original wager. But if the team loses, you lose your entire stake.

This makes perfect sense if the team only has a 50 percent chance of winning (and not, say, 60 percent). You’re betting an even amount that they’ll win or lose. If you bet $100 and the team loses, for example, that means you lost your whole wager in addition to the initial $100 because there were no odds attached to it.

The Teaser

Did you know a two-team teaser is a popular way to bet on football games? A teaser allows you to change the point spreads of your bets so that your team has a better chance of winning. And if they do, you still win big!

Here’s how it works: Let’s say the New England Patriots are playing the New York Giants. You place your wager on the Patriots to win, but after doing some research you discover that the Pats only have a 30 percent chance of winning. This means there’s a 70 percent chance they’ll lose–which is less than normal, so it could be worth it to you to bet more money.

With a teaser, you can add extra point spreads to your bets to improve your chances of winning. Say you add +7 points to the end of the Patriots’ score, giving them an 87 percent chance of winning (which is better than 30 percent). Since this number still isn’t 100 percent, you’ll get a bigger reward if they win. Plus, if New England loses, you’ll still win the bet since you only risked $100 (with the extra +7 points) instead of $110 without them.

The Round Robin

Also called a “parlay card” or “pick ’em card,” this strategy is one of the easiest bets to make. If you want to bet on a lot of different games, why not simply place your wager onto an accumulator card?

An accumulator is like a parlay (mentioned above) but instead of wagering on two teams at once, you risk it all on four or more teams. So if one team loses, you’ll still walk away with your profits because the odds are great on four or more teams.

The Teaser Card

Just like the teaser strategy mentioned above, this is another popular way to increase your odds of winning. It’s basically a round-robin card that allows you to add extra point spreads to more than one game at once. The only difference is that instead of risking $110 on two teams, you risk it all on three or more teams. Again, your reward is much greater compared to the risk you’re taking.

The System Bets

If you’re not looking for complicated bets and just want to make money playing sports, this is the best strategy for you. It’s basically a parlay that allows you to maximize profits by betting on games with better odds using different sportsbook websites.

For example, if you were to place a $100 parlay on an NFL game with the New England Patriots at -300 and another with the New York Jets at +300, you’d win $50 with the first bet ($300 minus your $100) and nothing for the second ($300 minus $100). But if you combined the two bets by placing $50 on both teams, you’d win $150 ($300 minus your $200 stake), or three times what you would have won if each team was its own bet.

Margin Bets

This is a unique strategy that involves betting on games where you have at least a three-point cushion. You can either wager on games with margins of more than nine points or less than nine points (-9 point spreads work best).

The risk is high since you could lose your entire wager if the team you bet on turns out to be an underdog, but there are many upsides as well. If you bet on a margin of more than nine points and both teams fail to make it, the game is considered a push, and your money is returned.

If you choose to play through all four quarters (which most casinos allow), the next wager is simply placed on the team with -9 points unless they’re losing by that margin or more. Say you wager $100 on the San Diego Chargers to win but they go down early and can’t pull off a comeback. If the Tennessee Titans get within one possession of winning (nine points), you’ll then place your bet on them since that’s where the nine-point margin is.

In Conclusion

There are a few varying ways to place bets on sporting events. But as long as you understand the odds and how much money could be won or lost, you should have no trouble making a wager. Good luck!

Feature image credit: Richard Boyle

Enjoy this content? Support The Football Sack

Due in part to COVID and lack of current sponsorship we are at risk of not having the funds to continue running The Football Sack. If you enjoy our content and support our work in training talented young writers, please support us with a donation. If every reader contributed just $3, our funding would be covered for over ten years.

DONATE

Learn with us

Latest Articles

Love your football?
Subscribe to our weekly football wrap. During the season we'll send you all the week's football action straight to your inbox.
* indicates required